ESRI is the largest mapping analytics software company in the world and it supports participating students and schools with grants of software and associated education resources. ANG is a non-profit, scientific and scholarly Association, with more than 2,500 members, serving in all tertiary institutions in Nigeria. We believe that a better understanding of the earth and its systems will empower young students (the SDG generation) to become champions for sustainable development.
Geography Green Schools Project (GGSP) is a technology driven education initiative for secondary schools to promote Science, Technology Engineering, Arts and Mathematics STEAM using GEOGRAPHY (Geographic protocols for data collection and scientific analysis to better understand the Earth and the global environment). Thereby establishing mentoring networks to empower as participants access resources and position their schools and students on the World’s Watched List for Opportunities.
Pioneered by GIS Konsult Ltd, the Geography Green Schools Project is endorsed and supported by the Association of Nigerian Geographers and the Environment Systems Research Institute (ESRI) among many other industry and education stakeholders.
Our vision is to equip senior secondary school students with the critical skills of geography, geospatial science and technology for sustainable development. Education is a major tool required to promote sustainable development and economic growth. Education curriculums should promote the teaching and learning of science, enhance geo-literacy and stewardship, and promote scientific discovery.
- Enhance the teaching and learning of the Geography at Elementary and Secondary Schools’ levels.
- Leverage on tertiary institutions as hubs for the educational development of Secondary Schools.
- Get volunteers to visit Secondary Schools and mentor students, using Geography software and educational materials.
- Facilitate training, seminars and workshops for participants.
- Facilitate the procurement of educational resources for participating schools.
- Raise awareness about climate change and its impact.
- Promote student participation in sustainable development projects.
- Set up a network of smart weather stations in 25,000 schools.
The Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE) Program is an international science and education program that provides the opportunity to participate in data collection and the scientific process, and contribute meaningfully to our understanding of the Earth system and global environment. It is a worldwide community of students, teachers, scientists, and citizens working together to better understand, sustain, and improve Earth’s environment at local, regional, and global scales.
GIS Konsult Ltd. has identified unique ways of promoting GLOBE protocols in Nigerian schools through the Geography Green School Network.
Geography Olympiad is an annual event where Secondary School students between the age of 16 and 19 years from countries around the world compete and show-case their knowledge and skills in Geography education. Each participating country organizes a regional and a national competition as pre-qualification for the International Geography Olympiad (iGeo).
The Geography Olympiad consists of three parts:
1. Written 2. Multimedia 3. Substantial fieldwork requiring observation.
The third part leads to cartographic representation and geographical analysis.
Find Out More about the GEO-OLYMPIAD